Sunday, September 20, 2009

A graduate student dinner

So I had a big lunch out packed with protein and carbs so I tried to take it easy for dinner. I had about a pound of green beans lying around, plus 5 pounds of apples I got a Whole Foods for only $4 (they have some good deals there if you know what you are doing). So I ate an apple and made some balsamic green beans, graduate student style. Plus some milk for protein and calcium. But I accidently ended up eating all the beans. Oh well. Here are my grad student style balsamic green beans. Technically you are supposed to use balsamic vinegar, but I used balsamic vinegrette and that's what makes them grad student style! I actually don't like balsamic vinegarette very much, but I went through this bottle pretty quickly and used it up tonight.

1 lb green beans, rinsed with ends chopped off
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp (plus or minus) sliced almonds
1/4 light balsamic vinegrette (I had some organic Newman's Own because I had a coupon and they were on sale and I love anything Newman's Own)

Heat the oil in a pan. Smash the garlic cloves and throw them in the oil when hot. Brown a little then add the green beans and balsamic vinegrette and cover. I stirred them every few minutes. Cook for a few minutes until the beans are almost tender then add the almonds and cook until tender.

Seriously, after that I'm a happy camper and I feel like they almost made up for my huge, fattening high carb lunch of jerk chicken with black beans, rice and cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment