Thursday, April 22, 2010

Restaurant Review: Evos

I've been super apathetic when it comes to making meals lately, which is unfortunate with all the fun stuff we get from the CSA.  The most notable thing I've made lately is a salad with lentils (wow, that's so cutting edge) and a delicous vinegrette.  I did however learn that in order to keep a vinagrette homogeneous you should add some sort of emulsifier: egg yolks (um, not if I'm not cooking it), mayo (does this not defeat the purpose of vinegarette?), mustard, or honey.  I don't keep mustard on hand (though maybe I should, it actually comes up a lot), so I used honey.  And honey made it delicious too.

But yeah, I've been pretty lame in terms of food.  Though I do have tons of things I've made over the past few months that I haven't posted, I just need to remember what they are... did I post the carrot souffle?  That was a good one.  I'm going to have to put up the balsamic glazed chickpeas and mustard greens.  It was delicous.

But today, today I am posting about Evos because it's Earth Day.  Evos is a restaurant I've heard about a bit, as they just opened in Midtown Atlanta (it's a chain also appearing in California and Florida).  Their concept is healthy fast food: the meat is humanely raised an hormone free (well, the beef is anyway), all the produce is organic.  They don't fry their chicken/fries and the milkshakes are low fat and organic.  So this is right up my alley right?  It took a free Earth Day milkshake to get me through their doors (plus two coupons will keep me going back for the next month).  I met up with a friend at the restaurant and although this is one of the few places where I feel great about eating meat (it's the well raised kind), I wasn't in the mood for it, so I ordered the veggie burger, topped with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and light ranch dressing.  It was great: one of those veggie burgers where you can see the veggies in it, as opposed to fake textured soy protein compacted to a strange texture.  Plus the avocado and ranch made it drippy and moist and bursting with flavor.  My friend got the Thai Chicken Wrap, and although I only tried a bite, I'd say it was pretty great too.  I got a vanilla milkshake because I'm giving up chocolate for a little while, and it was nothing special, but it was free.  And I never think that vanilla milkshakes are special, heck, I never even think chocolate milkshakes are special.  With the standards, I'm an oreo girl (Oreo is a standard flavor of milkshake, right?), but I'm more excited about peanut butter, fruit flavors or fruit flavors plus chocolate.  Or malts.  I love a good malt.  Anyway, that was a huge tangent, the milkshake was refreshing and free and went well with the veggie burger.  But the major advantage it had was that it was not too big.  Often milkshakes come in those big metal cups and are about 3 times what you should drink.  This one was the right size.  In fact, the burger was the right size, and it seemed that the wrap was the right size.  I didn't feel too full, but I was satisfied.  Then again, the biggest problem with fast food is the serving size, not necessarily what the food is (though it's of course, not ideal to eat every day), so I thought this encouraged good eating habits.  It was however more expensive.  A burger without fries or a drink was $5, as opposed to a double cheeseburger at McDonalds or Burger King, which are on the dollar menu.  They are also made of corn, essentially, which is subsidized by the government.  Oh well.

Evos=good lunch alternative to fast food.  Then again, it's not like I ever eat fast food for lunch.  But a very friendly place with some nice promotions.  They gave me a coupon for a free burger good for the next 4 days (no purchase necessary!)  I'll be going back very soon, since it will be free.  Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: gourmet ketchup.  I am not a ketchup eater at all, but I tried the garlic and the cayenne varieties and decided french fries might be worth pursuing just to eat the (garlic) ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment