Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Chili

We all have our own recipe for chili, but I thought I'd post mine to help make this blog a little broader. I guess I don't measure anything in chili, but this is what I use:
1 can beans (black, kidney, or anything that is on sale)
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 pound ground beef
2 stalks celery
1/2 a green pepper
1/2+ onion
chili powder (lots and lots)
cumin (lots of this too, even though there is cumin in chili powder, I really love cumin)
cinnamon (I put a good deal of this in, last time maybe a little too much)
garlic powder
onion powder (just a dash)
red pepper paste (it's this stuff I buy in the produce section, they have many different herbs, they are a little pricey, but they I keep it in the freezer and it lasts a long time, making life cooking for one a little easier)
cocoa powder (not too much, this isn't dessert)
And of course, in the true midwestern way:
Elbow macaroni

Cook beans, tomatoes, onion, pepper, garlic, celery together with spices in a saucepan. Cook beef, drain (rinse) and add to mixture, season to taste. Cook this until the peppers and onions are soft and the flavor has blended well. Cook pasta, drain and mix into chili. Serve with shredded cheddar (or colby jack) cheese.

Next challenge: make the hottest chili possible for my friends. This will be for show, not for a legitimate meal. But it will be fun. They sell Scotch Bonnet peppers at Publix.

No comments:

Post a Comment