Thursday, August 20, 2009

Peanut Chickpea Stew

I made a tasty stew today that probably isn't fitting for summer, but it is loaded with veggies and protein and it sounded good, so I made it. Again, I don't have pictures, but honestly, the pictures for this are not particularly appetizing. It was made from lots of canned food, but this makes it easy and fast (and I used dried chickpeas that I rehydrated and cooked last night, so slightly less fast). I used no salt added tomatoes, low sodium black beans and did not salt the chickpeas and found the salt level just right, but I don't really like salt, plus I thought the peanut butter took care of it pretty well (I have a slightly saltier jar of peanut butter I've been trying to use up, so I use it in baking/cooking a lot)

One onion chopped
1-2 chilis, diced
1 bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 zucchini (I sliced it very thinly and then chopped it into little tiny pieces so I didn't know it was there but you can cut it however you want)
vegetable broth
one can of tomatoes
one can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
one can black beans, rinced and drained
5-6 Tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
salt and pepper

Cook the onion in a broth or a little oil until almost soft. Add vegetables and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook. Use enough broth to make it stewlike.

No comments:

Post a Comment