Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pineapple Rice

I haven't been posting because I haven't really been making anything I deem as interesting, but maybe you will.  This is what I would call a pretty standard meal: it's fast, relatively healthy, cheap and will serve me for several days (and I can transport it easily during those several days).  I was inspired from some recipe I found online over the summer that combined sausage and pineapple in rice, but I couldn't find the recipe and I replaced black beans with sausage from what I remembered (or maybe there were black beans in the recipe?  I don't remember), though I'm sure it would have been great with some of the Trader Joe's jalepeno (precooked) sausage I just bought.  This kind of reminds me of pizza, but that is probably because I usually put pineapple, peppers and onions (and last time I added jalepenos) on my pizza, so this is more or less the same flavors in a different form (plus black beans).

1/2 c brown rice
1 can black beans
1 can tomatoes con chiles
1 chopped green pepper
1 chopped onion
1 diced jalepeno
1/2 can pineapple

Cook the rice according to package directions until almost done (so there is still a little water left), add onion and green pepper so they soften.  When water is absorbed add black beans, tomatoes (I didn't drain them, but maybe I should have) and pineapple.

Wow, that was easy.  It's not spectacular, I'll give you that, but it's decent, and it is a nice change of pace to have the spicy sweet of the chilis with the pineapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment