Thursday, March 4, 2010

Blueberry Challenge Days 4-5

This is actually getting hard.  I'm out of ideas.  Today I got lucky and was thinking about this oatmeal (I've been thinking a lot about oatmeal lately) truck that I read about that puts scone pieces on top of oatmeal and boom!  I'm making scones (which didn't turn out particularly well).  Yesterday I made blueberry soup.  I think i got impatient or didn't add enough sugar or something, it wasn't bad it was just one of those things that tasted like it could be better.  The blueberry soup came from my 12 Best Foods cookbook (bonus points if anyone can figure out all 12, note all recipes just need to have one but many have more)

Blueberry Soup (one serving)
1/2 blueberries
1 Tbsp frozen apple juice concentrate
1/2 Tbsp-1 Tbsp maple syrup
dash allspice

Place all ingredients in a pan bring to a boil.  When liquid boil, reduce the heat.  Simmer until the berries burst and give up their liquid, 15 minutes for fresh blueberries, 12 minutes for frozen.  Serve warm, not hot.

Yeah, this is not at all what I did.  I might not have let the blueberries cook long enough, I used brown sugar and water rather than maple syrup and apple juice.  And I ate it hot out of a mug.  It was comforting but not delicious.

Blueberry Scones
(Makes 8, note this recipe, like most of mine, is halved)
2 cups flour
3 Tbsp sugar
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup+1 Tbsp cold butter
1 egg
3/8 c milk +1 Tbsp (divided)
3/4 cup blueberries (if using frozen, do not let them thaw)


Preheat the oven to 350 (something I often skip or delay to save energy, but since these are supposed to be fluffy, it's important here) Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.  Cut in cold butter and mix to make coarse crumbs.  Whisk egg and 3/8 cups milk, add to dry ingredients until just moistened.  Fold in blueberries gently.  Spread onto gently onto floured surface, mold into disk, and cut into 8 wedges (or mold gently into balls, but from everything I've read, the less you handle scones, the better).  Brush with a tablespoon of milk Bake on baking sheets for 20-25 minutes.

They were super hard to work with because the dough was sticky, I probably added too much milk and the blueberries spread their juice because I let them thaw.  They would also be better with my secret ingredient of the week: lemon zest.  In fact, I think my mom adds that.

No comments:

Post a Comment