Thursday, March 25, 2010

Savory Oatmeal

I've seen a few posts about savory oatmeal recently and given my oatmeal obsession and my "don't knock it until you've tried it" philosophy (at least generally, I do knock some things that sound like they could kill you from unhealthiness in one bite or anything that has mushrooms or cream cheese), I thought I'd give it a try.  The problem is I eat oatmeal every morning and am never in the mood for something savory then, but then I wouldn't want to eat oatmeal again for lunch or dinner.  But today I escaped with celery and peanut butter for breakfast (I know, I have strange eating habits), so I thought it would be a nice lunch.  I've heard people try celery, green onions, eggs, cheese, all sorts of things.  But most had soy sauce, which is not something I use a lot of.  So I cooked a half cup of old fashioned oats with a little less than a cup of water (I wanted to make sure it was a little chewy, rather than cooked to a pulp, which I don't mind in the morning) and a chopped green onion.  I then grated a carrot on top, and added soy sauce, crushed red pepper and a little shredded cheddar.  I was in doubt about adding cheese with something with soy sauce, but it actually turned out to be a tasty combination.

It really was a simple lunch, but it might take a little breaking of preconceived notions that oatmeal should be sweet or eaten at breakfast.

And I do have one more breakfast oatmeal recipe up my sleeve that I'll eventually post.

No comments:

Post a Comment