Friday, June 25, 2010

Oatmeal

As most readers of this know, I love oatmeal.  And I am on a pretty tight budget these days and oatmeal (even with small amounts of toppings) is cheaper than almost any other breakfast.   And it's fun, you can be creative, make it to suit your mood.  So I thought I'd share what I'd been putting in my oatmeal lately.  I try to do this from time to time.  Note that it doesn't usually vary much, I like to stick with staples like cinnamon and walnuts and vary the fruit and (possibly) sweetener.  I also prefer using maple syrup, but brown sugar is much cheaper, and it transports well.  I like to just throw everything in a container and bring it my office with me sometimes, so I can eat a later breakfast.  So my two favorites as of lately:

Blueberry Lemon
1/2 cup oats (whatever your preference is)
2 Tbsp frozen wild blueberries (they are smaller than regular blueberries)
pinch lemon zest
pinch salt
pinch brown sugar
tsp walnuts (optional)

Cook by your preferred method.  I like to switch up between stove top cooking and adding boiling water.  Adding water makes it less soggy, but also give you less volume, so it's less filling.

Coconut Walnut
1/2 cup oats
1 Tbsp dried, unsweetened coconut (you could use sweetened and add less sugar I suppose)
1 tsp brown sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp toasted walnuts

See above for cooking.  I think this is optimal for bring with you and adding water, that's why I started eating it: coconut was the only dried fruit I had sitting around

No comments:

Post a Comment