Saturday, June 12, 2010

Spicy Citrusy Black Beans

So I'm poor, but that shouldn't stop me from blogging.  That's what this blog is after all.  So I plan on eating tons of black beans and rice.  Or black beans and cornbread.  Or red beans formed into burgers (that was a slight failure).  But I should share with you what i am actually making.  Tonight modeled an idea I had seen before: spicy citrusy black beans.  I made them pretty spicy, and they could have been more subtle flavored with less intense spice, but that is another option, they were pretty good as they were.  I used a can of black beans because there was little planning, but I usually would use dried black beans.  Fortunately, the can I cooked started pretty firm so cooking for a long time was not an issue.  Anyways, these definitely have room to play.  Also they called for orange juice and I read "lime juice" since I don't have oranges and I really like limes, so there is the option to switch back to orange juice too.  But this is roughly what I did:
1 can black beans
juice of one lime
zest of half a lime
1/2 tsp orange zest
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp ground sage
1/3 c onion, minced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 jalepeno, minced

Simmer everything until the onions and garlic are tender (yes, this is how I cook when I'm not following a recipe: throw everything together and cook until done).  I cooked it for about half an hour.  We served over cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment