Monday, July 19, 2010

Broccoli Pesto

I promised a post about the most amazing chocolate ice cream ever, but that will wait another day so I can hopefully take pictures of it.  Today I accidently ate enough of it while "stirring" so I'm not going to have a scoop.  But on with the broccoli pesto.

Who likes broccoli stems?  Not me.  I know some people do, but... yuck.  I usually just by the crowns and feel like less is going to waste if I throw them away.  But those big packages were on sale today, and those are you know, mostly stem, so I hate for it to go to waste.  It was going to be a simple dinner: broccoli and quinoa with some spices.  Then I realized I could make a pretend double broccoli quinoa by making a broccoli pesto, mixing it in to the quinoa and topping it with broccoli.  I've posted about that before, but as a separate post for those who don't like quinoa.  The point is, it's a good way to get rid of broccoli stems.  I guess you could top pasta or couscous with it, but I like it with quinoa, also it pairs well with avocados.  In fact, you could probably sub avocados for cream, but I think that is a waste of an avocado (they kind of get lost)

Broccoli pesto
1 head broccoli or leftover stems
2 cloves garlic
1/8 c almonds, sliced or slivered break up faster
1/8 c parmesan cheese
1/4 c cream (I used milk)
extra virgin olive oil to make smooth (1/4 c-1/2 c?)

Steam the broccoli until soft but not squishy.  This should take 5-8 minutes?

Blend broccoli, garlic, almonds parmesan cheese, cream until smooth (well, until broccoli is pureed) in food processor (or Magic Bullet).  Drizzle oil in and blend until smooth.

As a warning, this is pretty... intense.  The broccoli gives it a sharp kick, and the garlic... well, it's like raw garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment