Saturday, November 10, 2012

Apple Wheat Muffins


I went apple picking last month.  I ended up with a couple dozen apples, so I looked for apple recipes  After making apple sauce I decided I wanted apple baked goods.  So I looked for muffin recipes.

I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen and fixed it a little bit.

I froze about half of them.  Any that are not eaten or frozen immediately should be refrigerated.  I didn't and some of them turned to rotten mush in the middle.  Also, the recipe called for buttermilk or yogurt, I cut out 1/2 cup butter and used both.

Whole Wheat Apple Muffins
I ended up with 18 muffins.
1 cup (4 ounces) whole wheat flour
1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed, divided
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup (8 ounces) buttermilk
2 large apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Grease and flour 18 muffin cups and set aside.
Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and set aside. In a separate bowl, cream the yogurt and add the granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add the egg and mix well; stop once to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.  Mix in the buttermilk gently. (If you over-mix, the buttermilk will cause the mixture to curdle.) Stir in the dry ingredients and fold in the apple chunks.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, sprinkling the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar on top. Bake for 10 minutes, turn the heat down to 400°F, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the tin, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment