Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chicken in Green Masala Sauce

So a few weeks ago, I had some people over for (Northern) Indian food.  It was good, but I wouldn't say it was spectacular.  Oh well it was homemade and from a white girl.  But it came from my Curry cookbook, which is probably the single greatest cookbook investment I've made.  I think I've already made a half dozen recipes from it.  I'll periodically include the good ones.  This was good, but I thought a little bland.  Maybe the naan was just bad, I'm not sure.  It says it serves 4, but I doubled it and made another dish plus samosas and it fed 5 with few leftovers.  And I don't think we overindulged.  So it might make a good dinner for 2-3 (or one with leftovers).  Oh, and this is pretty much the easiest dish Indian dish ever, it was great for company because it went together really easily.  I chopped everything but the chicken the night before though.

1 crisp green eating apple, peeled cored and cubed
4 Tbsp cilantro
2 Tbsp fresh mint
2/3 c plain yogurt
3 Tbsp fromage frais or ricotta cheese
2 fresh green chilis (this might not be enough...)
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp grated fresh root ginger
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
8 oz chicken breasts skinned and cubed
1 oz sultanas (golden raisins)


  1. Place apple, 2 tbsp cilantro, mint, yogurt, fromage frais/ricotta, chilis, spring onion, salt, sugar, garlic, and ginger in a food processor and process for one minute.  Scrape outside of bowl and process for a few more seconds.
  2. Heat oil in wok or large pan and  pour yogurt mixture and cook gently for 2 minutes.  
  3. Add chicken pieces and stir well to blend everything together.  Cook over medium low heat for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.  I cooked longer because I thought the sauce was a little runny, so I cooked it until it was the consistency of curries I've had in restaurants.  Was this too much?  I don't know, but it made it easier to eat with naan.
  4. Sprinkle sultanas and remaining coriander over for serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment