Monday, February 22, 2010

Food Stamp Challenge: Day 2

Today was probably a failure.  For one, remember how I said it was okay to eat free food?  Today I acquired 9 steamed Chinese dumplings.  Being a grad student (and a grad student who the secretaries know and like) has definite advantages most people don't have.  I think I ate a ton of salt today too, well at least a teaspoon of sea salt (which has less salt than regular table sodium, but still).  Food from the cupboard I ate: banana 30 cents, apple 40 cents, 2.5 Tbsp peanut butter 20 cents, `1/2 cup oatmeal 8 cents, tsp cinnamon 2 cents, 2 Tbsp sugar 5 cents, 1 Tbsp cocoa (I made hot chocolate, figuring it was probably the cheapest possible dessert I could make assuming I was going to drink a glass of milk anyway) 10 cents (this might be an overestimate, I don't remember what I paid for the cocoa, so I figure it's best to round up), 1 tsp salt 1 cent, 1 cinnamon stick 2 cents.  Total= $.88
Total Left $7.36
I can't keep up at this rate if I want to splurge on peach(es) on Wednesday.  However, there will be free food involved on Saturday also.  Tomorrow I switch to fruit that is covered in what I paid yesterday, which will hopefully make for lower costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment