Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cinnamon Flavored Black Eyed Peas

I'm always looking for new ways to eat legumes, which in some cases, means trying new legumes.  I've never made black eyed peas, but I figured it was worth a shot, especially after seeing a Serious Eats column about them.  Plus, as we all know, I can't resist cinnamon and any opportunity to put it in any meal is a good enough for me.  So I decided to try this recipe.  It seemed safe, where by safe I mean did not involve any purchases and used flavors I knew I liked (I'd call it "Indian inspired") and not too much work.  I did however use yellow onion rather than red and tomato sauce rather than tomato paste, and then added more but added about half the water it called for.  I'll just link you the recipe, rather than retyping, since I basically followed it, except for those few changes.  Here you go!

As for my opinion: it is a kind of boring dinner, but the cinnamon and spice make it more interesting and worthwhile.  If you don't want to make it as spicy, it might not be good, I can't make any promises there.  But it does have my favorite things: garlic, cayenne and cinnamon, so I'm a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment