Sunday, October 10, 2010

Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream

Many of you know of my journey to make ice cream without an ice cream maker.  This ice cream was not as smooth and creamy as when we made the swiss rolls, but it did have praline mixed in which affected that.  This is a David Lebovitz creation, but don't worry, someday I will make up my own recipes for ice cream.  It's really not that hard.  Also this took forever to freeze, while stirring it every hour (except when I slept of course, it didn't even freeze over night!).  I blame the salt.

The one change I made here was instead of making the salt praline, I used some almond praline that I had lying around and added a little salt to it (the almond praline was maybe 1/3 cup ground almonds and a cup of sugar melted, following the same technique he described minus what I used to coat some cookies that did not come out well.  It made this ice cream taste even more like toffee, which it very much does.  It's like eating toffee in ice cream form.  Here's the recipe link.  Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment