Friday, January 7, 2011

Baked Oatmeal


I don't think another post about oatmeal should surprise anyone, since it is one of my favorite foods and certainly my most common breakfast.

Last year around this time, my dad and I stopped at his favorite breakfast place and split a baked oatmeal.  I thought it was great and so easy, you make it once and you can heat it up the next day and it's just as good. I tried it once and it was too dry and too thin (I think it's better if it's about an inch thick), but I tried again for my family and it was a good thing.  And it smells like cinnamon rolls as you mix it, but it's so much healthier and heartier.  It's a great start to a cold winter day (and like I said, it keeps very well).  However one thing I've found that made it much better the second time: soaking it overnight.  Otherwise it's too dry.  In fact it was a little dry as it was, so you could get away with more milk.  My mom poured a little eggnog (as a substitute for cream) on top of hers.

Ingredients
1 egg
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (I would usually use sea salt, but my mom doesn't have that)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (I grated just a pinch instead)
1 cup milk
3 cup oats
2-3 Tbsp dried cranberries
slightly toasted walnuts to top (optional)

Beat egg, whisk together with butter, baking soda, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and milk.  Add oats and stir until moistened.  Add cranberries and stir until distributed.  Grease a 9x9 pan and pour mixture into the pan.  Top with toasted walnuts if desired.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, preheat the oven to 350, then bake for 30-40 minutes until set in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment