Friday, January 21, 2011

Single Coconut Lime Cupcake

I found this recipe for a single coconut lime cupcake and I thought it was pretty much the greatest idea ever, making a single cupcake that is.  This was adapted (that is divided) from a Vegan cupcake book (vegan works well since there are no eggs, which makes it divide better), and I decided to try it and if it worked well, experiment with my own ideas more regularly.  I love cupcakes, but I hate that they make so many and they are hard to transport if you frost them before transporting them, but frosting them after transporting them doesn't necessarily work well either.  So I thought this was a great thing to try to play with.  As for the cupcake, I think I may have added too much lime juice, the batter was a little runny and the cupcake was VERY limey.  The texture was different from a regular cupcake, maybe a little sticky/spongier, but definitely not bad.  That was probably due to the fact that it was vegan and not the fact that it was a recipe for one.  But remember, when you are dealing with such small proportions, you have to be fairly careful with measuring.  I wasn't super careful because 1/4 Tbsp is hard to measure, so I just went for a little less than a tsp.  The frosting is an avocado buttercream which is great since I gave up dairy and am trying to eat more avocados.  Also it's tasty, but I unfortunately cannot eat it by the spoonful since it is WAY to sweet.
The divided recipe is here, and the original is from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.


Single Coconut and Lime Cupcake
  • 1 + 1/4 T soy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
  • Tiny drop of white vinegar (I used white wine, it is after all, only a drop)
  • 1/2 T sunflower (or any other light-tasting) oil (I used canola)
  • 1 T raw sugar (just use regular)
  • Drop of vanilla
  • 1 + 3/4 T self-raising flour (scant 1/8 cup)
  • 1/2 t cornstarch
  • 1 t fresh lime juice
  • 1 t shredded unsweetened coconut
  • pinch lime zest
  1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C.  I used the toaster oven.
  2. In a small cup, mix the soy milk and vinegar and allow to curdle.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk the soy and vinegar mixture, sugar, oil and vanilla for about 1 minute or until most of the sugar has dissolved.
  4. Sift in the flour and cornstarch. Mix well to combine.
  5. Stir in lime juice, coconut and optional lime zest.
  6. Pour batter into one cupcake paper/tin and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
  7. Cool on a wire rack completely before icing. Makes one cupcake.
Lime Avocado Buttercream
  • 1/4 of a medium avocado
  • 1/4 t fresh lime juice
  • 110g icing sugar
  • 2 t cornstarch
  • pinch lime zest (optional)
  1. In a medium-sized bowl, beat the avocado and lime juice until smooth.
  2. In batches, sift in the icing sugar and cornstarch, beating well after each addition.
  3. Stir in the lime zest if using. Makes about 2/3 C frosting.

2 comments:

  1. I need to try this... sounds delicious! Wish I had a toaster oven though, because it seems silly to heat up the entire oven for just a single cupcake

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably bake it with something else, since it's just one cupcake, it's a lot more flexible than a whole tray. As long as you aren't baking it with some big and cold, it should be fine.

    ReplyDelete