Sunday, February 8, 2009

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

So after the previous bread which was too sweet, I tried to find a whole wheat bread with less sugar and honey, and this Peter Reinhart bread was recommended by multiple sites online. This is how mine turned out:

I kind of liked the flexibility of making everything ahead of time, but I still had to knead it and wait, put it in a pan, and wait, which meant it took even more time than making everything at once. Also worth noting, I didn't have whole milk, so I used skim (which is probably horrible to people know how to bake bread, but this is one of the challenges of being a grad student: there is not room in my fridge for both whole milk and skim milk).
It tastes pretty good, definitely like whole wheat bread, and it is great with jam. I'm sure it will make great sandwiches, plus it is whole wheat, so it has the added plus of being hearty.

I'm still new to using yeast, so I'm not very good at it yet. I don't think either loaf I've made so far has risen as much as it ideally should, to the size of a normal slice of bread used in a sandwich, but this one was closer.

1 comment:

  1. What a cool blog! I should make bread sometime too.

    ReplyDelete