Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Valentine's Dinner for Three

So I actually kind of like Valentine's Day (one of the best excuses to eat chocolate), so I decided to celebrate myself and make a nice steak dinner. But one of my friends didn't have plans, so I ended up inviting a couple single friends over and expanding my steak dinner for them. I do not make steak dinners all the time (in fact, this was my first time), but I am of the belief that if you do something, you need to do it right. So I bought three very nice, thick filets (they were great cuts of meat), a few potatoes, and a couple heads of broccoli. I bought the steak fresh, but too late in the day to marinade for a long time, so it only marinaded for an hour, but the flavor was very good. My marinade was red wine with 3 large cloves of garlic, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and a few grinds of sea salt and cracked pepper. Unfortunately, an hour after I had this going, the kitchen in my apartment was crowded (I live with three other people and two were in the kitchen at the time) so I claimed my stove space when I could. I seared my steak and then broiled it Unfortunately, I wasn't patient enough with the meat thermometer and therefore ended up overcooking my steak. I like steak at a nice medium well, and this was definitely well done. It was also slightly dry, probably due to overcooking it. However, it was such a great cut of meat, extremely tender due to the cut and the marinade, and was therefore delicious. I mashed the potates with a clove of garlic and a few spoonfuls of light sour cream and they were fantastic. I don't usually like garlic mashed potatoes (I tend to be a food purist, I don't like my food to be particularly complicated and I tend to like to things separate, at least when they are supposed to be), but these were awesome.

And then I served my brownies with the weird cherry ice cream. My friends though the dessert was fantastic. Most people who have tried the brownies do like them, especially if they like dark chocolate, since they are a little more bitter than regular brownies. They are certainly worth trying again with oil rather than butter to hopefully make the consistency a little less dense and a little more... brownielike.

No comments:

Post a Comment