Friday, February 20, 2009

My cheapest healthy dinner

Okay, so the spices aren't always extremely cheap, but once you have them, they last a while. Also, I have a farmer's market at which I can buy spices for about $2-3 a pound, so several ounces costs about 50 cents. But this is actually a delicious recipe. I'm not a fan of split peas, so I was a little concerned the first time I made it, but I love it. It's extremely filling an has a great flavor. Plus it is basically split peas, which are great for you!

Split Pea Dahl

1 cup dried split peas
2 tablespoon oil (not olive!)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon red pepper

Boil split peas in a quart of water until they are tender (about 45 minutes). Then fry the spices in oil until they are fragrant. Add a half cup of the split pea juice to the spices, simmer for a few minutes, then add the mixture to the split peas. Simmer the peas and spices for a few more minutes, then serve with brown rice or eat like soup.

Edit 2/20/10: I computed the cost of this meal for the food stamp challenge.  At the prices I paid for spices (an average of about 60 cents for 2/3 of a cup), this meal cost me 54 cents.  For 3-4 servings!  That's ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment